How to properly analyze and interpret Alberta injury rate data
On October 01, 2010, the Alberta Government publically released workplace injury & fatality records. This made the Province the first in Canada to release a comprehensive list. Anyone can now access information about worksite injuries and fatalities involving more than 140,000 employers insured by the Workers Compensation Board (WCB).
Information for each employer includes:
- number of lost-time claims
- estimated number of employees
- lost-time claim rate
- number of fatalities
- if the employer holds a Certificate of Recognition, and
- industry and province-wide lost-time claim rates for comparison purposes.
As may be expected, the release of this information has generated a great deal of interest. People are naturally interested in knowing:
- whether trends exist in the data, that is whether injury and fatality rates for organizations or industries are getting better or worse, and
- whether some organizations or industries perform better than others.
To assist clients in properly analyzing this data Converge has prepared a White Paper: Analyzing WCB Injury Rate Data. <= Click on the link to download a pdf version of this paper.
About the Author: